Thursday, December 24, 2015

Gilligan's Island: Gilligan, the Goddess

Gilligan's Island: Gilligan, the Goddess
CBS
April 17, 1967
Sitcom
DVD
B-

This, Bob Rodgers's second GI script (he also did "The Little Dictator"), is very third-season, with cross-dressing and natives who arbitrarily speak English.  It ends with the Skipper hitting Gilligan with his cap.  No one knew that this would be the last of the regular series, not until it was cancelled to make way for Gunsmoke.  Definitely no one could've predicted that this show, hated by the critics, would become so entrenched in American culture, and indeed become famous worldwide.  I grew up with it in syndication, like so many Gen-X kids did.  It was always there, and I took it for granted.  In fact, I only bought it on DVD because the complete series for $30 was such a bargain.  (I'd originally planned to just review the handful of episodes I have on VHS.)  I've forgotten much about the show but I am pleased that it holds up as well as it does.  This season, like the first two, averages out to B-.  And this won't be the last we'll see of the cast in my TV collection....

No comments:

Post a Comment