Sunday, August 21, 2016

Welcome Back, Kotter: Oo-Oo, I Do, Part 1

Welcome Back, Kotter: Oo-Oo, I Do, Part 1
ABC
May 25, 1979
Sitcom
DVD
B-

In this Perret & Richmond episode, Arnold's mother gets married offscreen to an Atlantic City blackjack dealer.  (There apparently was another stepfather after Mr. O'Hara, that one a circus performer.)  Meanwhile, he has a job working for Mary Johnson's unseen uncle, and he and Mary are falling in love.  He doesn't want to move with his family (the brother and sisters are mentioned but also unseen) and ends up proposing to Mary.  There are some sweet moments between them and, if we can ignore that whole "drunk Arnold" lapse, they have a good relationship, so it doesn't feel too rushed that they're getting married, not that I cared when I was eleven of course.  (Janet getting married on Three's Company in '84 was a betrayal though, for reasons I'll go into then.)

I'm tagging Kaplan because he's seen in the "next episode" montage.  Part 2 actually aired right after, so who knows if that was even there originally, but I go by what's on the programs in the condition and format I have them.

No comments:

Post a Comment