Thursday, January 25, 2018

30 Rock: Goodbye, My Friend

Image result for 30 Rock: Goodbye, My Friend
30 Rock: Goodbye, My Friend
NBC
March 5, 2009
Sitcom
DVD
A-

This episode written by Ron Weiner is my favorite so far, perhaps ever.  You've got two very strong threads and one pretty good one, tied together in sometimes surprising ways.  Liz befriends a pregnant teen named Becca (very well played by 26-year-old Phoebe Strole), in hopes that she can adopt Becca's baby.  Meanwhile, Jack bonds with and then sort of plays father to Frank, encouraging him to go back to law school, until Jack meets Frank's fierce mother Sylvia (Patti LuPone in the first of three appearances).  And even the Jenna & Tracy plot has its moments of heart and belly laughs.  I like how Pete is again playing Liz's conscience, including telling her what it's like to be a very young parent.  And I love Jack's long line about the meaning of Harry and the Hendersons, which had me flailing with laughter even the third or fourth time through.  Another great moment is when Sylvia asks, "Do I have to paint you a picture?" and it turns out she already has, which works like a classic cartoon moment.  Just delightful from beginning to end.

Stefanie Grassley, who's Tracy's Fan, would later be a Grieving Mistress (not of Tracy's).  Frank Anello fulfills your expectations by playing part of the Production Staff.  This is the first of fifteen 30 Rock episodes directed by writer John Riggi.

No comments:

Post a Comment