Sunday, January 3, 2016

That Girl: Just Spell the Name Right

One of my favorite of Ann's outfits.
That Girl: Just Spell the Name Right
ABC
March 28, 1968
Sitcom
DVD
B-

While the plot of this Richard Baer script doesn't really work, this is worth watching for the cast.  Jesse White returns, this time as cut-rate p.r. man Eddy Edwards.  He plants a gossip item saying that Ann is having an affair with an actor, played by Robert Alda.  There's some farce, including Lew believing the story despite the Ethel Merman kerfuffle, but eventually Ann reconciles the actor with his wife, played by Joan Blondell.  Johnny Silver again is dry-cleaner Siegfried S. Newman.

3 comments:

  1. I am currently watching the series and thought this was an A+ episode. The script writing gave Marlo Thomas (Ann) a potpourri of sequences to showcase what fans embraced about her character. Her tizzy with Donald is timeless back and forth (relationship tension#flirty#pick a fight). Her wardrobe was convincingly 1968 stylish. Since the concepts came from London, I know women (of that era) in the culturally rural and suburban areas of the U.S. wanted that look. Her wardrobe had hidden dare to it, like you and the audience knew she wanted to be naughty, even though she couldn't really aggravate you. Thomas was so sharp and snappy with her dialogue and delivery, it lifted the enthusiasm of the whole cast on this episode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched this episode in four years and it doesn't really stick out in my memory. I'll comment more when I do rewatch, in the next couple years. (I'll be rewatching the first season probably this summer.) I just didn't want you to feel ignored.

      Delete
    2. Still a B- for me. For one thing, I don't care for most of the stuff with the wife.

      Delete