Thursday, January 28, 2016

The Brady Bunch: Brace Yourself

The Brady Bunch: Brace Yourself
ABC
February 13, 1970
Sitcom
DVD
B-

Brad Radnitz, who wrote four Gilligan episodes, offers his first of four for BBunch.  I always think of this one as Marcia's first serious meltdown.  "I HATE YOU, ALAN ANTHONY!  I HATE EVERYBODY!"  We often hear about what a psycho Jan is (especially after the '90s movies), but Marcia was pretty hormonal herself at this point, somewhere before her thirteenth birthday.  This episode is also notable for the first significant Mike/Carol innuendo since their wedding day, when she asks him if he'd still love her if she wore braces, and he says, "Every chance I got."  Then he turns out the light and the tag ends.

Molly Dodd, who plays the Saleslady, would have a more memorable Brady role four years later as bigoted neighbor Mrs. Payne.  The 1970s have already passed the '50s on this blog, because I'm just not that into "the Golden Age of Television."  Or I guess the '70s are my golden age.

No comments:

Post a Comment