Friday, January 1, 2016

That Girl: Oh Don, Poor Don, Your Pants Are Hanging in My Closet and I'm Feeling So Sad

Odpdypahimcaifss PosterThat Girl: Oh Don, Poor Don, Your Pants Are Hanging in My Closet and I'm Feeling So Sad
ABC
February 22, 1968
Sitcom
DVD
B

This middle of eleven TG episodes takes its title from a play about "Dad" hanging in the closet.  But that's far from the most dated aspect of this first of my TV shows to originally air in my lifetime.  Don's mother is visiting and finds his dry-cleaned pants in Ann's closet and jumps to the wrong conclusion.  We see more than ever that Mrs. Hollinger is the mirror image of Lew Marie and it's great fun when they argue over which of their children corrupted the other.  Donald and Ann of course are still not having sex, but that they can joke about it, in front of their parents no less, is pretty daring for the time.  And Mrs. Hollinger, of all people, refers to marijuana!  Mix in Ann's dry-cleaner and it's another of those fun, farcical episodes where everyone's working well together.  (Johnny Silver had previously appeared as Joey but he'll be back again as Siegfried S. Newman.)

No comments:

Post a Comment