Tuesday, April 11, 2017

TV's Perfect Moms

Image result for barbara billingsley 1980sTV's Perfect Moms
Nickelodeon
1989
Documentary
VHS
B-

Again, I'm not really sure what genre to put this under, but I think it is closer to a documentary than anything else.  Hostess Kerns talks about growing up with the "perfect" moms of the past and how her character on Growing Pains deals with that legacy.  Henderson and Billingsley provide insight into what it was like to play such moms, including the effect this had on their real families.  At times this feels like a plug for the Nick at Night line-up-- Mr. Ed for instance makes the cut-- but it's pretty well put together and it is nice to see these shows, even if I'm not a big fan of most of them.

Note that Kerns refers to the '90s, which I think Who's the Boss? started doing in '88.  People were a lot more impatient for this decade to end than the '60s or '70s as I recall, although honestly I don't think any of us fathomed what the '90s would actually be like.

No comments:

Post a Comment