Monday, September 25, 2017

Ellen: The Bridges of L.A. County

Image result for Ellen: The Bridges of L.A. CountyEllen: The Bridges of L.A. County
ABC
October 4, 1995
Sitcom
DVD
C+

I almost went with a C or C-, because I didn't at all care about the Newman & Stark plot of Spence having a one-night stand with dumb blonde Karen Lewis (Christine Taylor, who gives more to the part than it deserves, but then earlier in the year she was such a good big-screen Marcia Brady that Maureen McCormick was impressed).  However, the scene of Ellen, Paige, and Audrey getting drunk on wine, playing with hair extensions, and complaining about men was genuinely funny.  I pouted when Adam's scene with Joe was over.  I'm really not looking forward to more of aggressive, opinionated Spence and I don't know why the producers thought he was an improvement over flawed but sweet Adam.

Although I didn't find the book group particularly funny, Paul Bates, Anthony Clark, Brian George, Bob Glouberman, and Kate Williamson would return as respectively Kenny Burke, Will Davies, Ranjit Sudar, the Book Club Pundit, and Mrs. Rodgers later in the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment