Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Bosom Buddies: Hildy's Dirt Nap

Image result for Bosom Buddies: Hildy's Dirt NapBosom Buddies: Hildy's Dirt Nap
ABC
February 18, 1982
Sitcom
DVD/VHS
B-

Carrerow, Chambers, and Miller wrote this story where a stereotypical Eastern European man falls for Hildy, so her death is faked.  This episode probably is the most extreme example of the difference between the official DVD release and the USA Network's syndicated version.  (And I vaguely remember the original telecast.)  The best scene here is of course the funeral, but due to that music rights issue, you won't get to hear Isabelle sing "Rock and Roll Heaven," as Buffy taps out a rhythm on the casket, and their friends sway and smile, Amy making her Amy and Hildy puppets clap their little hands.

On the other hand, I've seen the tag only twice since the original airing, when I bought the DVD and when I watched it today.  This is one of three episodes with a reference to Heavyweight Boxing Champion Leon Spinks (Mork & Mindy has one so far), and that Eastern European brings his new bride, Leona Spinkus, to the hotel.  The kicker is that she's played by Scolari in brown pigtails, prompting Kip to ask where Henry's father was during the War.  (Henry and Hildy are given a birth year of '57, but I guess Leona could be older.)

(I don't remember seeing Holland Taylor in this episode, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

No comments:

Post a Comment