Monday, July 3, 2017

Ranma 1/2, Random Rhapsody: Gosunkugi's Paper Dolls of Love

Image result for Ranma 1/2, Random Rhapsody: Gosunkugi's Paper Dolls of Love
Ranma uses his feminine
wiles on Gosunkugi
Ranma 1/2, Random Rhapsody: Gosunkugi's Paper Dolls of Love
Fuji TV
March 13, 1992
Anime
DVD
B-

The Noozles and Tales of Little Women aside, this is the first anime series I remember watching as an adult and knowing it was anime.  The woman I was dating at the time ('98) was a fan, partly because of the gender-bending.  I've watched a handful of episodes over the years and I like it, but, no, I'm not a fan.  A couple years ago, my current boyfriend, who's much more into anime than I am, was clearing out his collection in order to make room for more, so I took this DVD.

And I could go into the actual background of the show, but you could get that anywhere.  All you need to know for the purposes of this blog is that each season had a different subtitle, "Random Rhapsody" for Season Five.  And this is the 21st episode for that season.  The gender-bending is present but taken as a given, with Ranma assuming his female form to fool Gosunkugi, who uses the dolls of the title to try to get Akane to go out with him.  Ranma and Akane are in high school but nonetheless betrothed.  They're attracted to each other but they bicker a lot.  And there are a bunch of possible alternate suitors throughout the series, one of whom shows up in one scene here, but I don't remember all the characters and, again, you can look this up elsewhere.

As a standalone, the episode works pretty well, with some nice twists and humor.  Gosunkugi is pretty creepy, but he's meant to be.  The disc has only two more episodes on it and I don't remember if they have any relation to this one.

Note that I watched the American dub today but I'm going with the original Japanese airdate and station, since I don't know when or where the translation first aired in the US, and I don't feel that the American actors are as impressive or as memorable as on His and Hers Circumstances or Fruits Basket.

No comments:

Post a Comment