Sunday, July 9, 2017

Weird Al Yankovic: Smells Like Nirvana

Related imageWeird Al Yankovic: Smells Like Nirvana
Song released April 3, 1992
Music Video
VHS
B-

By this point, I had sort of lost track of Weird Al, and for that matter pop music.  I liked my retro bands like Jellyfish and Deee-lite, but grunge wasn't exactly my scene.  So considering this is a parody of, obviously, Nirvana, I enjoyed this more than I expected, then and now.  But then, everything's better with Dick Van Patten.

The videocassette that these twelve Yankovic videos are on ranges from C- to B+, averaging out to a definite B-.  Weird Al has an impressive range of parody styles, although "Smells Like" isn't that far a cry from "Ricky," especially in terms of visuals, with a bunch of people acting silly in a room.

No comments:

Post a Comment