Thursday, November 26, 2015

Gidget: I Love You, I Love You, I Love You, I Think

Gidget: I Love You, I Love You, I Love You, I Think
ABC
January 5, 1966
Sitcom
DVD
B

This episode addresses a question you may be wondering by now: if Gidget is so crazy about Moondoggie, how is that she's dating and/or crushing on all these other guys?  Her father points out that she's "been in love" five times in the past three months.  So she recalls falling for a "surf bum" who turned out to be her Algebra teacher.  In a non-judgmental way, Russ and the episode itself make the point that it's perfectly normal to be attracted to other people, even when you're in a loving, committed relationship.  The script is also funny, as Gidget makes a mess of things before it's all straightened out.  (Fields's physical comedy is not something that people often mention.)  Irony note, when Gidget soon after Moondoggie's departure decides she needs to be alone, she says she'll become a nun.


Not only Mike Nader but Sue Hamilton and some other unidentified Beach Party series cast appear for the first time in awhile.  (Given the writer and director, as well as the mostly flashback action, I suspect this was made earlier in the season.)  Lennie Bremen, who plays the Janitor, would be on a couple episodes of That Girl.  Maida Severn, who plays Miss Stoddard (the principal I think) would also guest on That G.

No comments:

Post a Comment