Thursday, November 12, 2015

Gilligan's Island: Gilligan Meets Jungle Boy

Gilligan's Island: Gilligan Meets Jungle Boy
CBS
February 6, 1965
Sitcom
DVD
C+

I'm sorry, even for Gilligan's Island, I'm not able to suspend this much disbelief.  When blond 13-year-old Kurt Russell shows up as Jungle Boy, we never get answers to any of the following questions:

  1. How long has he been on the island and how did he arrive?
  2. Who and where are his parents?
  3. Why is he able to mimic but not understand English?

Until I'm told otherwise, I'm just going to assume his father is Wrongway Feldman, and his native mother sent him to live with his father when he reached puberty, unaware that Feldman had left the island months ago.

I do like that we're starting to see more of the Professor's inventions, here a bicycle-powered washing machine that gets converted to a sewing machine.  (I'm assuming he and the Skipper collaborated on the balloon.)  And, yes, Al Schwartz is another of Sherwood's brothers.  One of his co-writers, Howard Harris, wrote the 1947 movie Copacabana, which I reviewed on my movie blog, and he worked on You Bet Your Life and would do a That Girl episode.  Lawrence Dobkin also directed "Plant You Now, Dig You Later."

No comments:

Post a Comment