Friday, November 6, 2015

Gilligan's Island: Two on a Raft

Gilligan's Island: Two on a Raft
CBS
September 26, 1964
Sitcom
DVD
C+

We're now in the Johnson era, Russell as well as Lyndon.  Being born in '68, a lot of what was on TV in syndication when I was little is from this time.  But even as a child, GI never felt right to me in black & white (unlike the '50s shows).  Not that I think it was right to colorize the first season, and I am glad it's in b & w on DVD.  But most of my favorite episodes are, perhaps coincidentally, from the color seasons.

This first episode to air isn't bad.  It takes awhile to get going but I do like the various castaways mistaking each other for headhunters.  (I mean, other than the dated racism of the trope.)  Things to note: in the Skipper's absence, the Professor easily fills the role of leader; there are mild signs of Ginger's attraction to the Professor; Ginger claims to have brought only one dress; Mr. Howell is already improvising golf equipment; and the original "and the rest" from the pilot can be glimpsed on board the marooned boat in the early moments of the episode.

My tags are limited, so I'll just mention that the co-writers Lawrence J. Cohen and Fred Freeman would both return.  Charles Maxwell is the voice on the radio, while John Rich is the new director.

No comments:

Post a Comment