Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Gilligan's Island: Physical Fatness

Gilligan's Island: Physical Fatness
CBS
May 8, 1965
Sitcom
DVD
C+

This is another episode where I have trouble swallowing the basic premise, and some of the plot twists, and so it affects my enjoyment.  I kept wondering why the Skipper and Gilligan have to lose/gain all that weight before they're rescued.  It's not like they'll immediately go back into the Navy that day.  They can take their time about it, and it's more important that they build the raft to put the dye marker on.  Also, it seems very careless of the Professor to, without explanation, just leave the dye on the table where Gilligan is dining out of other bowls.  And, to be honest, if I saw my friend glowing in the dark, I'd be a lot more concerned about his health and safety than any of the castaways seem to be.

All that said, this does have some moments I like, mostly involving Ginger.  She does some very sensuous exercises that she expects the Skipper to imitate.  And she has a flirty scene with the Professor, who actually flirts back at the end, saying that they haven't been on the island long enough for him to mistake her for Gilligan.  This is, by the way, another collaboration between Herbert Finn and Alan Dinehart, but the first time that Gary Nelson is in the GI director's chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment