Monday, June 20, 2016

Welcome Back, Kotter: Angie

Welcome Back, Kotter: Angie
ABC
January 12, 1978
Sitcom
DVD
B-

This episode-- written by George Arthur Bloom, Beverly Bloomberg, Paul Mason, and producer James Komack-- confused me as a child.  I'd been watching the show for two and a half seasons and suddenly I found out that girls couldn't be Sweathogs!  Not that I wanted to be one when I got older (I was more the Judy Borden type, though less boastful), but I'd always assumed that everyone in that History class was a Sweathog.  Sure, there were all those kids who sat there and said little or nothing, but didn't they count?  What about Vernajean and Rosalie?  Now, ironically when Mr. Kotter is about to lecture on the ERA, Angie Globagoski (Melonie Haller) transfers from the Bronx and stuns the four main boys with her aspirations to be a Sweathog.  She is accepted by them in the end (well, early on by less macho Arnold), and the character would return, but obviously she's not as well remembered as Arnold, Freddie, Vinnie, or Juan.  Or Rosalie or Vernajean for that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment