Sunday, December 18, 2016

Three's Company: The Heiress

Image result for Three's Company: The HeiressThree's Company: The Heiress
ABC
March 13, 1984
Sitcom
DVD
B

So here's the thing about this Staretski & Rips story.  I think I missed it when it first aired, because when Janet got engaged on the following episode, I had no idea who this guy was.  Not only that, but I went away to visit my relatives on an isolated commune for two months (whole other story), so I missed this episode in summer reruns.  (I also was shocked on my return by the rise in jingoism, but that's definitely another story.)  It wasn't till syndication I think that I saw the introduction of David Ruprecht as Phillip Dawson.

As I noted earlier, a vase again stands for Janet's virginity, this time a vase she inherits from a regular customer.  (And it's decorated with a dragon, which Jack gives Janet an offstage Freudian interpretation of!)  There are a few lines where Jack says Phillip is after only one thing, and he fervently does not want her to give it up to Phillip.  Hardcore J/J shippers would say that Jack is jealous, but it is possible that he's just convinced that the vase is valuable and Phillip is scheming.  Phillip and Janet make up offscreen and in the tag are going on a date.  And so we enter the homestretch of the series.

Fran Ryan's second role on the show is as the late man's wife Grace.  Robert Clotworthy, who was Clete in the ABC After School Special "The Skating Rink" and Private Welch on M*A*S*H, makes his first of two appearances as Tony Williams, who is Phillip's cousin I think.  (Grandson to the dead man, while Phillip is the nephew.)  Twyla Littleton, who was Cheryl on Bosom Buddies, is Ann here.  Lawyer Ian Abercrombie would be Leo on Who's the Boss?

No comments:

Post a Comment