Sunday, March 26, 2017

Family Ties: Alex Doesn't Live Here Anymore

Image result for Family Ties: Alex Doesn't Live Here AnymoreFamily Ties: Alex Doesn't Live Here Anymore [fragment]
NBC
May 14, 1989
Sitcom
VHS
C+

Shrug.  I liked Family Ties the first couple seasons, when it was a more balanced "generation gap with a twist" series.  Gradually the '80s and Michael J. Fox's star power took over and made this the Alex Keaton Show.  I still watched sometimes but I don't remember getting choked up about the finale even at the time.  I think I taped these last few minutes of the hour-long episode for "historical purposes," in the same way I taped part of Election Night six months earlier.  There's a moment or two that made me smile now, like when Tina Yothers as Jennifer tells Alex, "It was nice working with you," and you can see Fox break character a little.

Director Sam Weisman did a couple of the early episodes of Who's the Boss?, as well as fifty-six previous Family Ties.   And, yes, that's Courtney Cox as Alex's ex Lauren.

No comments:

Post a Comment