Sunday, August 20, 2017

Mystery Science Theater 3000: Village of the Giants

Image result for Mystery Science Theater 3000: Village of the GiantsMystery Science Theater 3000: Village of the Giants
Comedy Central
January 22, 1994
Riffing
VHS
B-

While this has some funny moments, I feel like the action of the '65 Bert I. Gordon movie and the riffing slow down after the bad teens become giants.  Still, it is fun to listen to the Jim-Begg-spotting.  Note that there's a David Duke reference that's unfortunately not dated.  For once, I enjoyed the non-movie sequences, as Mike and the Bots sympathize with TV's Frank, who's been fired.  They sing a musical tribute to him, which doubles as a tribute to Frank Zappa, yes, the second tribute this month, on my shows alone.

Bob Random, who plays Rick, would that Fall (of '65) be one of Gidget's TV boyfriends.  Murphy directed this episode.

I don't know if I have a representative sampling, or if it's completely fair to rate episodes that in most cases I edited down.  But as it stands, my twelve MST3K episodes range from C to B+, and average to a B.  I'm still not a MiSTie but it has been fun revisiting the series.  And, yes, it would go through further morphing and spin-offs.

No comments:

Post a Comment