Sunday, October 16, 2016

Bosom Buddies: The Rewrite

Image result for Bosom Buddies: The RewriteBosom Buddies: The Rewrite
ABC
March 19, 1981
Sitcom
DVD
B

This Gewirtz, Praiser, and Thompson story is another of those "not quite a B+" episodes and I guess the explanation this time is that the pace is ever so slightly off.  I laughed, but I wasn't rolling on the floor.  Still, definitely solid work by all, yes, including Dixon and Benson.

Ruth shows up at the Susan B., looking for Amy, so the boys are almost caught in drag.  Henry, who's been writing up their experiences for his "great book" (see the opening credits) tries telling it as it happened and then, with Kip's input, three more ways.  The cast is again clearly having a blast (when the women are supposed to be moving menacingly towards the men, I caught Benson and Hopkins laughing), and it's fun to watch them.  Special shout-out to Taylor, especially her imitations of Carson and Dietrich, the latter with one of the greatest entrances on a sitcom ever.  (An honor guard and two I think greyhounds add to it.)  I remember that the "sex" portion was probably the raciest thing I'd ever seen on a sitcom to that point, even though the most intimate it gets is Sonny and Kip eating food at each other.  As an adult, I'm impressed by all the literary and pop-cultural jokes thrown in.

No comments:

Post a Comment