Saturday, February 20, 2016

The Brady Bunch: Cyrano de Brady

The Brady Bunch: Cyrano de Brady
ABC
October 20, 1972
Sitcom
DVD
B+

Skip Webster's last Brady story has always been one of my favorites.  Not only is it the one that started my crush on Peter, sometime in my preteens, but it has one of my favorite scenes.  Jan brings her new friend Kerry home, and Peter immediately becomes infatuated with Kerry.  Unfortunately, he doesn't know how to make a good impression on her, so he turns to Greg for help.  Through a misunderstanding suggested by the episode's title, Kerry thinks Greg is interested in her (despite an age difference of three or four years), and she returns his supposed interest.  Poor Jan is caught in the middle, giving Plumb some funny moments.

But the funniest part is when Greg acts like a jerk to scare off Kerry, with help from Marcia in a wig and dark glasses, as "the other woman."  As Alice quietly tells Mike and Carol when they get home, "I'm not sure but I think it's a teenage soap opera."  Then Peter comes home and scolds Greg and Marcia for playing a dirty trick on a nice girl like Kerry, who he thinks should be treated like a queen.  Awww!  Kerry asks him to walk her home.  After they leave, Greg and Marcia face their parents, who are pretty cool about it all, I guess recognizing their good intentions.

No comments:

Post a Comment