Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Match Game 73: #1.1

I said "Brooklyn" and thus won 100 1973-dollars.
Match Game 73: #1.1
CBS
July 2, 1973
Game Show
DVD
B-

Revamped for the '70s but not yet quite Match Game as we know it, the show returns with Rayburn and Olson, but with six guest celebrities rather than just two.  And I have to admit that, although I played along, I wasn't any more drawn in than I was by the '62 episode.  It's partly that the questions and celebrity answers aren't either crude or refined enough, refined in the sense of being polished.  A contestant and I both said "wives" were traded, but the celebrities said things like "cars."  For "something you squeeze," the contestant said "a girl," while the panelists said "lemons" and "oranges," and I, trying to get in the mid-'70s mindset, said "Charmin."  It's not surprising that only Richard Dawson (who gets the Super-Match right with "London Bridge") would become a fixture on the panel.  It's not a bad (re)start by any means, but the show needed further retooling and development.

Marc Breslow directed this and future episodes.

No comments:

Post a Comment