Sunday, March 27, 2016

The Bob Newhart Show: I'm Okay, You're Okay, So What's Wrong?

The Bob Newhart Show: I'm Okay, You're Okay, So What's Wrong?
CBS
November 17, 1973
Sitcom
DVD
B+

Another sharp, funny, and believable episode, the only one written by Earl Barret, who'd do six for Welcome Back, Kotter.  Emily is feeling depressed, and not just because there have been four weeks of snow and other bad weather.  She and Bob end up seeing a marriage counselor (a nifty cameo by Katherine Helmond, who was 44 but still had big success ahead of her).  Another scene that made me chuckle was where Jerry offers advice.  Despite how amusing the episode it is, it also acknowledges the darker side of marriage and routine, and it continues to amaze me how grown-up this program is compared to its contemporaries.  (Including ones I'm not reviewing like All in the Family and Mary Tyler Moore).  Also, note the consistency of Emily's fear of flying throughout the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment