Sunday, March 20, 2016

The Brady Bunch: Snow White and the Seven Bradys

The Brady Bunch: Snow White and the Seven Bradys
ABC
September 28, 1973
Sitcom
DVD
B-

Like a lot of Season Five, this last Ben-Starr-written episode is something I enjoyed more as a kid.*  I loved the idea of the Bradys putting on a show in their backyard, and I thought it was funny when the cop questioned the costumes of Mr. Brady as Prince Charming and Sam (Allan Melvin) as Dopey.  As I became an older kid, I guess preteen, I liked the suggestiveness of Mr. Brady telling Mrs. Brady that if she's thinking about producing a seventh kid, forget about it.  Now, shrug, the episode is cute, but it seems like they could've done more with both the play itself and the behind-the-scenes stuff.  Also, shouldn't Mike as an architect know more about permits?

*I think I was watching it as it aired that year although what I mostly remember from that season is David Cassidy and Susan Dey, possibly in character, in a promo saying that The Partridge Family was changing air-days.  (To Saturdays opposite All in the Family, unfortunately for them.)  In any case, if I didn't see the last season of BBunch at the time I certainly saw it with the smallest gap and it certainly felt less dated to me in the mid '70s than the first season did.

No comments:

Post a Comment