Wednesday, March 30, 2016

The Brady Bunch: Welcome Aboard

The Brady Bunch: Welcome Aboard
ABC
January 25, 1974
Sitcom
DVD
B-

The last Brady script from Al Schwartz and Larry Rhine introduces Cousin Oliver (Robbie Rist) son of Jack and Pauline, one of whom is Carol's sibling.  I may as well say that I actually liked Oliver and I don't think he jinxed the show (which was slowly declining anyway).  I know that many people of my generation feel differently, but I liked that Oliver was close to my age (especially in the beginning of syndication), and I always enjoyed spotting Rist in other projects.  And he has more personality than the Kelly Kids.  That said, I do find it amusing that Oliver got a category named after him on the Jump the Shark website, even if there are more egregious examples of the "add a little kid to the show" syndrome.  (Scrappy Doo springs to mind.)  Note, the family seems thrilled about the idea of Carol being pregnant, which would've been an interesting sixth-season development.

Truck Driver #1 Dick Winslow previously was Mark Winters.  The Keystone Cop is Snag Werris's fourth Brady role.  Judd Laurance, who plays the Director, would be a Technician in Rescue from Gilligan's Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment