Tuesday, January 17, 2017

More Housekeeping

Image result for vcr
Not the Veece, but you get the idea.
Almost thirty years ago, my then-future-ex-husband bought a VCR, which we affectionately named The Veece.  We taped lots of stuff off TV, some of it pretty random and/or brief.  In considering those VHS tapes which we began filling from the Summer of '87 onward, I realize that some of the shows are of very approximate vintage, unlike the television episodes that clearly have initial air-dates.  For instance, a string of pet videos from America's Funniest Home Videos is going to be difficult to assign a specific air-date to.

So although my aim on this blog (as on the ones for books and movies) is to be chronological, that's simply no longer possible.  I'm going to watch a December 1986 Our World episode next because I was thinking earlier that it was '87 or '88 and so I accidentally skipped it.  Then I'll watch some programs from the Fall of '87 that I do know the air-dates for.  But then it's going to be a potpourri of things taped in that second half of '87.  As we go along, I may be unearthing things from earlier in the '80s, or the '70s, or even '60s.  It'll be more chronological for this re-viewing than chronological for when they first appeared on TV.

Furthermore, I'll be moving and starting a full-time job next month, so I simply won't be able to devote as much time to this project anyway.  It may just be a show or two a day.  However, while it may seem like we've got almost three decades to go, that's just not the case.  I have only a handful of programs from this century, and even the late '90s will be less populous than the early '90s.

No comments:

Post a Comment