Friday, April 22, 2016

The Lost Saucer: 894X2RY713, I Love You

The Lost Saucer: 894X2RY713, I Love You
ABC
September 6, 1975
Children's
DVD
B-

I probably watched this show at the time, although it did air opposite Scooby-Doo.  If I didn't catch it in first run, when I was seven, I probably saw it at least during summer reruns.  Alice Playten, who played Alice, was also Alice on the local (Southern California) program, That's Cat, and I remember being a fan, maybe because she had that great mid-'70s fluffy hair, or maybe because her characters were Danzaly named.  I'll admit there's not much in this show to entertain an adult-- I certainly have a lower tolerance for Buzzi & Nabors slapstick-- but there are still some cool things about it, and not just the campiness of the special effects or the probably already dated by '75 slang and topical references of the little black boy Alice babysits.  (I know "Here come da judge" was from Flip Wilson and had been referenced on the Jackson 5ive cartoon three years earlier.)

The theme song remains a great example of power kiddie pop, and the line "They can't get off of this crazy ride!" sounds like it could've come from something in the Top 40 of the time.  Also, I still think the dorse (dog-horse hybrid) is neat.  I remember as a kid I liked the heavy-handed morals, and this one, about people in the future being faceless numbers, hasn't exactly dated itself.  By the way, Si Rose wrote for several previous Krofft productions as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment