Friday, May 13, 2016

The Bob Newhart Show: Some of My Best Friends Are...

The Bob Newhart Show: Some of My Best Friends Are...
CBS
October 9, 1976
Sitcom
DVD
B

This is more messagey than BNS usually gets, but I think it's handled well, including that Bob tries to be tolerant but isn't 100% comfortable about Mr. Plager being gay.  I also like that the main group needs "new blood" with Mr. Gianelli gone so long, and that we've already met Mr. Plager, including in a different group (the one with Mr. Herd).  My guess is that this episode was somewhat ground-breaking, and watching it four decades later, I'm reminded how far we've come.  (Now maybe one person would quit the group, not all four.)  Yes, it's not as big a step as Jodie being a regular character on Soap the following year, but it is a step.  And obviously it didn't kill Hesseman's career.

This is Peter Bonerz's 100th program, since he did that That Girl episode and hasn't missed any of BNS.

No comments:

Post a Comment