Tuesday, May 17, 2016

What's Happening!!: Shirley's Date

What's Happening!!: Shirley's Date
ABC
December 4, 1976
Sitcom
DVD
C+

It took me awhile to figure out what bothers me about this episode, but it turns out it's what bothered me as a kid: Rerun gets girls to go out with him relatively easily, but any date with Shirley is treated as a pity date.  What I like about the episode: the "Mr. Smooth" voice Allan has; the first Jimmy Carter reference on any of my shows; and the guys' good intentions in trying to find someone for Shirley.  Note that Rerun had previously mentioned two brothers, and here we meet Dewey.

Bryan O'Dell makes his first of six appearances as Marvin, while Rose Fonseca, who plays Gloria, would come back as two other characters.  Rani DuBois plays her third WH character, Maxine.  Ralph Wilcox, who's Allan, would return as Danny Domino.  This is the first of two WH scripts by Bob Illes and James R. Stein.

No comments:

Post a Comment