Sunday, May 22, 2016

The Midnight Special: Hot Chocolate and England Dan & John Ford Coley

The Midnight Special: Hot Chocolate and England Dan & John Ford Coley
NBC
January 7, 1977
Variety
DVD
B

Both segments aired as part of a Best of '76 episode hosted by Wolfman Jack.  They represent two strands of pop music of the Ford era: early disco that incorporates funk and other elements ("You Sexy Thing"), and sensitive ballads with a '70s cynicism blended with undying romanticism ("I'd Really Love to See You Tonight").  It probably means something that I have a mondegreen that makes "I'm not talkin' 'bout movin' in and I don't want to change your life" into "I'm not talkin' 'bout the linen...."  I would've gone with a B+ but the staging is a little blah, especially for Hot Chocolate, particularly compared to Donna Summer or the Spinners.

No comments:

Post a Comment