Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Three's Company: And Mother Makes Four

Three's Company: And Mother Makes Four
ABC
March 24, 1977
Sitcom
DVD
B-

I'm going to go ahead and give this a B-, like Pilot #2 and the British original, although I do think Priscilla Morrill is an improvement over whoever the actress was who played Susan Lanier's mother.  (Morrill was the aunt in the "Summer of the Swans" After School Special, and we'll be seeing her again.)  There's still the basic problem that they think they can keep a secret like this from Chrissy's parents.  That said, the episode is fun, with some of the fun coming from the enthusiastic studio audience, who not only savor the innuendo but make audible remarks like, "Go for it, Jack," and "The mop."

As I mentioned before, I suspect that the cab driver's scene was carried over, but I think both Janet's hair and Mrs. Roper's outfit are different from Pilot #2 and they did indeed have Shera Danese come back as the buxom Barmaid.  This aired on a Thursday, the same night as What's Happening!!, and knowing ABC, the Family Hour, and the late '70s in general, I'm going to guess it was after WH.

No comments:

Post a Comment